It's difficult to find that balance between family and work and some weeks are better than others. Now don't get me wrong I love the fact that my current job is pretty much 8-5 Monday-Friday. Unlike public accounting which would mean working 45+plus including Saturdays right now because of tax season. But sometimes it seems like work takes up your ENTIRE day leaving you with only a few hours in the evening to run errands, eat dinner, clean, help with homework, spend time with your family, exercise, read, get ready for the next day, etc. etc. etc. So we spend the majority of our day at work and only a few hours at home (excluding sleep time). It doesn't seem fair! Who thought of this 40 hour work week anyways! Well unless I win the lottery (and I never play) I guess I will just keep striving for that perfect family/work life balance.
The reason for all that venting was because I started to feel like maybe my training plan was a little too much for me to manage. It's week 5 and I was so proud that on week 4 I did every single workout! It's a good feeling for me to check off each day I complete it. But I also feel guilty when I have to put on X on a workout for skipping it. I only have one rest day in this training plan. I also didn't take into consideration any unplanned events that may occur during the week. But I know these things are going to happen. I just need to not feel guilty and move on with the next day's workout!
Last night was "Ladies Night" at a local running store Off N' Running. It was fun! I got to see my running buddies and scored some free giveaways. They also had a nice discount but I actually didn't buy anything. Of course I missed my scheduled 4 mile run which is why I felt guilty. That's okay - I went for a run tonight. I only did 3 miles because Michael went with me and he always pushes me to run faster. The route we did was quite hilly but I finished it just under 31 minutes. I was planning on going to the Y since it was cold (around 45 degrees). But Michael thought I needed to run outside for the hill work and he would go with me. So I reluctantly dressed in all my warm running gear and went out there in the cold. I'm glad I did though. I wouldn't have pushed myself that hard on the treadmill.
January Goals Recap
I wanted to do a recap of my 2012 goals list to see how well (or bad) I did in January. So here I go!
- Keep a record of all my runs using
Runkeeper orGarmin website. At the end of 2012 I want to be able to know the total number of miles I ran. Result: I did! I ran 42.57 miles in January.
- Start 10k training program January 2. Result: I did except it was a week later. No biggie!
- Run my first 8k race in March (Beer Run!). Result: Not here yet.
- Post to my blog (ARG) weekly. Result: I did! Even though this post is a few days late :)
- Run 500 miles in 2012. Result: On track so far!
- Finish a 5k race in 27 minutes (9 minute pace). Result: Not there yet but working on it.
- Do additional core exercises twice a week. Result: Did not do this :(
- Increase weights in body pump class. Result: I did for squats. Still need to for upper body.
- Make Lifetime member for WW. Result: I'm getting close. Only 3 more weeks of maintenance to go!
- Take daily multi-vitamin. Result: Didn't do good. Ran out mid January and just bought more.
- Eat more vegetables. Result: Don't think I ate more than usual.
- Read a book once a month. Result: Started a book but haven't finished it yet.
- **NEW** Run a half-marathon.
I bought 2 bottles of vitamins this weekend so I'm stocked now for at least 4 months! I do need to make sure more to eat more veggies. I wish I had more time to read so I could finish this book! It's fiction and purely entertaining - vampire series. It's a series by Charlene Harris the one the True Blood series was based on. I've never seen one episode of that series but I know it was very popular. It's been interesting so far. Funny how different writers have different vampire rules! Also don't know why I'm interested in vampires - it's a chic thing I guess!
Notice I added a new goal - run a half-marathon which I talked about in a previous post. Still scheduled to be the Hershey Park Half in October. I only have 3 more weigh in's at WW for maintenance and then the next weigh in will be for lifetime membership! I have been able to maintain my weight and I'm down a little from goal weight but not the five pounds I was hoping for. Hopefully I won't have a problem making lifetime. If only I could go by my scales which of course weigh about 2.5 pounds less than WW!