- Making Lifetime for Weight Watchers - It took me almost a year to lose 40 pounds and reach my WW goal weight, but I did it! As a Lifetime member, you weigh in at least once a month and if you are within 2 pounds of your goal weight, the meetings are free. You also get free etools to access WW Online.
- Running my first 8k race - Beerun! This 5 miler (actually 5.2 miles in 2012) is a locally popular race and a tough course. For two years, I was at the race watching Michael run it and I never thought I would one day run it too.
- Meeting Dierks Bentley - Heck yeah! This has nothing to do with running but it was definitely a big highlight of 2012 and probably my life right? Not sure when I will have the opportunity to meet a star and talk to them for an entire 45 seconds again!
- Running my first 10k race - We drove to the coast to do this race in Wilmington. The course was basically in a super nice shopping center which I thought was weird, but it was still nice and flat.
- Coaching Women's Running School (WRS) - I volunteered as an Assistant Coach for WRS and had a great time. As I've said many times before, I'm not sure I was really much of a coach than I was a cheerleader. Royal Blue was an awesome group to run with and many of those girls are still running. A couple are even training for the first 10k! I hope I have the opportunity to coach again this year.
- Running my first half marathon - This of course was the biggest race and goal of 2012. I had the bright idea to recruit my buddy Jeff (who lives in PA) to run the Hershey Half in Hershey, PA. So I kept my promise and we drove up to PA for our first half. It was such a good feeling to accomplish the goal of running 13.1 miles. Years ago I never would have imagined I would do something like this.
- First 5k race finish under 30 minutes - I know I'm not a fast runner. I just hoped one day, I would finish under 30 minutes and see that "29" something. I had many races I came close and even one in 2010 that was under 30 minutes but I don't think it was officially 3.1 miles (pre Garmin days). Finally in November I finished a legit 5k in 29:23! Not only that race, but the next two races were under 30 minutes and I have a new 5k PR of 29:07.
- My first winning medal - In the Reindeer Romp 5k I placed 3rd in my age group and won my first medal! I was so excited to win some bling!
- Being a calendar girl - It was cool to be selected as a calendar girl for my employer. They really did have a big part to my healthy lifestyle changes. I hope my little story will be inspiring for others.
Monday, January 14, 2013
I'm a little behind on recapping my 2012 highlights, most everyone else in blogland had theirs done appropriately at the end of 2012. But better late than never, right? I had such a great year in 2012 so I felt like I had to share some of the highlights for me. So here goes!